Cardigan Castle occupies a naturally strategic position which overlooks the lowest crossing point of the River Teifi affording spectacular views both seaward and inland. Lord Rhys is believed to have started rebuilding the castle in stone in 1171, the first Welsh man to build a stone Castle. In 1176, to mark the completion of the Castle, Lord Rhys held the first ever Eisteddfod, a celebration which included competitions between poets and harpists.
A few centuries after the first Eisteddfod was held at the castle, Henry Tudor, in his attempt to recruit an army to fight against Richard lll at Bosworth, called at Cardigan Castle to gather support.
Today, following a major restoration project, Cardigan Castle is open to the public for all to enjoy. It’s home to an exhibition on the history of the Eisteddfod, as well as a year long programme of varied events.